Monday, February 9, 2009

Slapshots column from Feb. 5, 2009

A reprint of my column published in the Feb. 5 Woodford Sun.

The first time I met Woodford County High School wrestling coach Joe Carr, we had a wide-ranging conversation about the things that make the Yellow Jacket wrestling program so successful. One phrase stuck out in my mind. Carr said that along with teaching solid fundamentals, preaching hard work and maintaining high expectations, it was imperative to steer his athletes away from things off the mat that could hold them back in the ring.

Carr calls them “dream killers” – drugs, alcohol, poor academic performance and laziness.

I’ve dreamed many dreams in my life. I’ve attained a few and I am still striving for others. I know how much work, dedication and effort it takes to make dreams come true – along with a measure of good luck, God-given talent, and coaching, support and encouragement from others.

Chasing dreams is hard work and when they come true, we should never take them for granted.

That’s why it makes me so angry when talented people who have reached the top of their chosen field, throw it all away with stupid decisions.

Last week, a British tabloid published a photo of Olympic swimming champion Michael Phelps smoking out of marijuana pipe.

Phelps apologized.

“I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment,” Phelps said. “I’m 23 years old and despite the success I’ve had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public this will not happen again.”

Uh huh.

Phelps had the world by the tail. He was THE hero of the 2008 Olympics. After winning a record setting eight gold medals, he had companies lined up begging for his endorsement. Phelps was set. He would make millions of dollars hocking products. He was embraced in the love of a nation, and as a young man his days in the pool were far from over.

And like so much rubbish tossed into the dumpster, he pitched it all away for a little high.

I hope it was a good one.

Even if it was an isolated momentary lapse of judgment – and I doubt seriously that it was – he has created a new persona. The all American athletic hero turned party boy.

Who wants a pothead selling their product? Who wants a party boy representing their company? Who wants an immature brat standing up for their brand name?

Then there is the disappointment of millions of fans. We love our heroes. We hate when they fail us.

Beyond the potential of lost endorsements, the party lifestyle will catch up with an athlete pretty quick. From all indications, Phelps intends to continue swimming. I can guarantee you that as his body ages, he won’t be able to compete if he continues in that kind of lifestyle. It will cut his amazing career short.

Phelps may bounce back. We can always turn things around. He can make a renewed commitment to his sport and walk away from the partying and drugs. I believe in second chances, and sometimes the best stories arise from the ashes of bad decisions and self-destruction.

But it will never be the same for Phelps. He’s done the damage. No matter what happens in the future, that photo will always remain in the shadows. The whispers will always hang in the air behind his back. The golden persona will remain forever tarnished.

Therein lies the lesson. It only takes a second. One bad decision can immediately and permanently alter the course of your life. In an instant, one lapse of judgment can undo a lifetime of hard work.

A single bad choice can wreck a dream.

Phelps is learning it the hard way – and it makes me both angry and sad.

Perhaps it is unfair to place athletes on a pedestal – to burden them with such high expectations. But it is what it is. To whom much is given, much is expected. (Luke 12:48)

I hope all of the young athletes out there – as well as non-athletes chasing their own dreams – will heed the lesson well.

Quick Shots

It was indeed super! With so much hype, so much build up and so much anticipation, it’s pretty difficult for the actual Super Bowl game to measure up. But Super Bowl XLII in Tampa met the mark and then rose a little higher. I am not a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers or the Arizona Cardinals, so I got to watch the game in a somewhat detached manner. My heart still hasn’t slowed down. I can’t imagine how exciting it was for Steeler fans – or how disappointing for the Cardinal faithful. There was no shortage of drama. Vicious hits, acrobatic catches with toes tickling the sideline, long runs, big plays and an Arizona comeback topped by a Steeler comeback. It was a game any fan could enjoy. If only they were all that good.

On the other hand, Bruce Springsteen was simply awful in the halftime show. There was something mildly pathetic about the old man strutting around the stage like it was still 1985. Let it go dude! To make matters worse, he spent most of the show singing off key. There wasn’t even a “wardrobe malfunction” to make things interesting.

My favorite Super Bowl commercial was the Doritos ad featuring the snow globe.

I had a feeling that the University of Kentucky basketball teams’ lack of scoring from anybody other than Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson would catch up with it. Old Miss shut down the two Cat scorers and walked away with a win.

Quote of the week

“It just makes me appreciate life and take every day one day at a time and enjoy the things I have and am blessed with. It’s a trophy to be alive every day.”
-Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger speaking before the Super Bowl about how his motorcycle accident in 2006 changed his perspective.

Puck to the Head

This week’s puck flies at Pittsburgh Steeler linebacker James Harrison for his unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the second half of the Super Bowl. After an incredible interception returned 100 yards for a touchdown to close out the first half, Harrison drew a penalty for punching and then pushing over an Arizona lineman who was down on his knees. I was pretty impressed with Harrison after the interception return. Now I just think he’s a thug.

No comments: